Response to Literature
Major Skills/Guiding Questions
- What questions do you have about the text?
- What thoughts do you have about the story?
- What conclusions have you made about it?
- What was the major theme of the text?
- What is the major conflict, issue, or problem in the text?
- Is the title appropriate for the text? Explain.
- How does the main character change from the beginning of the text to the end of the text? Why do you think this change occurs?
- How does a specific quotation relate to the whole text?
- How does the quotation further your understanding of the character(s) or the theme(s) in the text?
- What does the text say about people in general?
- What life experience, work of art, text, television shows, movie, or other personal experience relates
directly to the text, and how does it relate?
- Connect something in your experience to the text.
- What is your opinion of this text, and why?
- What literary devices did the author use in the text? How
do these literary enhance or detract from the overall presentation of the text?
- How does this text help you to further your understanding of human nature?
- Should all students read this selection? Why?